We're hiring a Communications and Membership Coordinator!
Company: Documentary Organization of Canada (DOC)
Position: Communications & Membership Coordinator
Program: Young Canada Works
Start Date: September 8th, 2020 (flexible)
Hours & Term: 29 weeks, Full-time, 37.5 hours
The Documentary Organization of Canada (DOC) is a registered not-for-profit organization. For the past 38 years, DOC has been the voice of and leading advocate for Canada’s independent documentary community. With 6 chapters and close to 800 members from coast to coast, DOC conducts vital research and advocacy work to ensure a healthy ecosystem for documentary production; we run professional development and mentorship programs; we create forums for exchange with other filmmakers, thought leaders, funders, broadcasters, festivals and other community partners. We are a community of mutual support that connects and strengthens documentarians across the country and a site of documentary culture that drives critical thinking about the ethics, practice, and aesthetics of documentary storytelling.
This is a 29-week paid internship through the Young Canada Works program. To be eligible, candidates must be between the age of 15 and 30 at the start of employment. They must be Canadian citizens, permanent residents or designated as refugees under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act. For more details on eligibility, click the link here.
We are currently seeking a recent graduate to work as a Communications & Membership Coordinator at the Documentary Organization of Canada (DOC). In this role, the successful candidate is expected to contribute to the success of DOC by providing a range of communications and membership services in support of the National office activities.
DOC maintains a small close-knit team of employees, which will give the employee the opportunity to experience office culture and build strong connections with their co-workers in a virtual setting.
WHAT THE CANDIDATE WILL DO
- Manage DOC’s social media accounts (FB, Twitter, Instagram, and YouTube) and maintain a regular publishing calendar.
- Creating graphic assets for social media posts and newsletters
- Assist with website communications - including researching of resources relevant to DOC membership and updating/uploading content, as necessary.
- Assist with drafting of member communications, newsletters, and surveys.
- Be the first point-of-contact liaison for member and general inquiries
- Outreach to member benefits partners and potential partners (festivals, etc.)
- Coordinating signups to DOC’s Festival Concierge service
- Assisting with Special Projects as required
- Scheduling meetings and conference calls
- Taking minutes at meetings at Board and Committee meetings as required
- Preparing Board and Committee meeting agendas
- Updating files and records in Dropbox
WHAT THE CANDIDATE WILL BRING
- 1+ years of progressively responsible social media and communications experience within an office environment.
- Excellent knowledge of Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and social media best practices.
- Experience with Buffer, CMS website uploads and Mailchimp.
- Experience with CANVA and Survey Monkey is an asset
- Excellent communication skills (verbal/written/comprehension)
- High degree of accuracy and attention to detail.
- Ability to prioritize tasks & a strong desire to learn.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Sensitive to issues of confidentiality
- Ability to work effectively in an intimate, fast-paced – yet remote - team.
- Keen interest in the documentary film world.
RELEVANT FIELDS OF STUDY
- Students will be exposed to industry professionals, funders, etc.
- Students will be exposed to regulatory policy, industry news, etc.
- Students will get to pitch and write stories in the monthly newsletters
- Students will get to conduct research on industry-related issues
- Students will have the opportunity to network with journalists and documentary filmmakers
- Students will work closely with the Communications Coordinator to provide all national communications for the Documentary Organization of Canada
- Students will experience working directly under the supervision of the Executive Director, shadowing the Communications Coordinator in supporting the completion of her duties.
HOW TO APPLY
Interested candidates may send their resume and cover letter to email@example.com by Sunday, August 30th at 11:59 PM.
DOC would like to like to sincerely thank all applicants for your expressed interest in our organization; however, only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
DOC is committed to accessible and equity-based employment practices; and ensuring a diverse, inclusive workforce that reflects the communities we serve. We strongly encourage applications from members of Indigenous, racialized and LGBTQ2SI communities as well as persons with disabilities.
We look forward to you joining our team!
The Documentary Organization of Canada