COVID-19 has had profound impacts on Canada's documentary community and DOC encourages our members and all documentary filmmakers to stay safe. Here are some current resources including health and safety guidelines from provincial and territorial jurisdictions across Canada. We are updating this page regularly.
Federal Government Emergency Support For Culture, Heritage and Sport
In April 2020, the Federal Government committed $500 million to establish an Emergency Support Fund for Culture, Heritage and Sport. Funding is being disbursed in two phases and monies designated for the audiovisual sector are being administered by the CMF, Telefilm, Canada Council for the Arts and the Indigenous Screen Office.
Canada's COVID-19 Economic Response Plan
Canada: C19 Health and Safety Guidelines and Protocols for the Audiovisual Sector
As production restarts in provinces and territories across Canada, each jurisdiction is publishing health & safety protocols and guidelines for the audiovisual production sector.
Nova Scotia - Screen Nova Scotia
PEI - Film PEI
Canadian Border Security Agency - travel by foreign film and television workers to Canada from the US and other parts of the world.
C19 Guidelines and Protocols from Around the World
Shooting protocols are being developed around the world. DOC has posted a selection here for reference purposes only. As an organization, we are not endorsing any one set of guidelines.
- UK/US - Doc Society - Independent Documentary Filming in the time of Corona
- UK/US - Smuggler - Guidance for Production Relating to COVID-19: Phase One
- UK - Various Broadcasters - Managing the Risk of Coronavirus in Production Making
- Sweden/Denmark - Nordic Film Guide - COVID-19 Film Production in Sweden & Denmark
- UK - Broadcasting, Entertainment, Communications and Theatre Union (BECTU) - Safe Working on Film Shoots Under Limited COVID-19 Restrictions
- New Zealand - Screensafe - COVID-19 Health and Safety Protocols for the New Zealand Screen Sector
- US - First Reponse Training International - Airborne Pathogens Workplace Training
- Iceland/Australia - New York Times- Two Projects Are Filming Again. Here’s How They’re Doing It.
- US - DGA, SAG-AFTRA, IATSE, Teamsters - COVID-19 Safety Guidelines to Provide Safe Workplaces in a Pre-Vaccine World
- Alliance of Motion Picture and Television Producers - Proposed Health and Safety Guidelines for Motion Picture, Television, and Streaming Productions During the COVID-19 Pandemic
Field of Vision -Documentary Filmmaker Support Guide
Provincial/Territorial Resources for Creators
Newfoundland & Labrador
Other Creative Industry Focused C19 Resource Lists
Canadian Media Fund -CMF COVID-19 Information Hub for Screen-Based Industries
Canadian Media Producers Association -CMPA COVID-19 Information Hub
Directors Guild of Canada - DGC List of Resources
Indigenous Screen Office - ISO Links and Resources
Picture Motion - Virtual Screenings Guide
Telefilm Canada- COVID-19 Updates
Writers' Trust of Canada -COVID-19 Information
ACTRA -Covid-19 Information
General Information about COVID-19
Standards Council of Canada (SSC) - Safety Standards Reference Guide
Health Canada - Covid-19 Updates