Bill C-11 needs a documentary amendment!
Without the inclusion of DOC’s amendment, it will be harder for Canadian documentary filmmakers to make their films. We need your help!
In Bill C-11, the Copyright Modernization Bill, there are provisions that would unduly restrict documentary filmmakers from accessing materials locked behind technical protection mechanisms. DOC has drafted an amendment that would allow documentary filmmakers to circumvent technical protection mechanisms for the purposes of fair dealing. The amendment would allow for technical protection mechanisms to serve their purpose, while allowing documentary filmmakers to make films.
Call to Action
Bill C-11 has passed its 2nd reading, and is now before a Parliamentary Committee. It’s time to write to your MP to tell her/him that Bill C-11 needs a documentary amendment, otherwise you face yet another impediment in making a living as a documentary filmmaker.
Find your MP using this tool:
Please copy the following Bill C-11 committee members when you send your letter.
- Andrew Cash, Andrew.Cash@parl.gc.ca
- Charlie Angus, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Dean Del Mastro, email@example.com
- Geoff Regan, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Mike Lake, Lake.M@parl.gc.ca
- Paul Calandra, email@example.com
- Peter Braid, Braid.P@parl.gc.ca
- Phil McColeman, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Pierre Nantel, Pierre.Nantel@parl.gc.ca
- Rob Moore, email@example.com
- Scott Armstrong, Armstrong.S@parl.gc.ca
- Tyrone Benskin, Tyrone.Benskin@parl.gc.ca
- Glenn Thibeault, firstname.lastname@example.org
The committee sits until the 17th of March, so time is running out. Write to your MP today!
Click here for DOC's amendment.
Have questions? Call us at 416-599-3844 x1